Monday, April 1, 2013

Diary Quilt: Ohio Star (and a gift for a friend)

Almost finished with the Diary Quilt catch-up posts, this is the 2nd to last block I have to tell about.

Ohio Star Quilt block
This block was chosen primarily for my dear quilting mentor, Jules, who got me started in quilting (check the "labor of love" posts for a hilarious look at my very first attempt to sew a quilt block....).  I've finally written her the requisite tribute letter which I right to all inspirations for my blocks, so now I can finally share it and tell about it here on the blog.

I didn't like any of the "friendship" blocks that were featured in Mimi's book, so I asked Jules what her favorite block was; she replied that she liked the Ohio Star block. I searched on-line for a pattern, incorporated her favorite color (pink) as well as that of a few other quilt mentors (yet to be written.....will do that today!) and cut & assembled the block.

The first attempt, I cut wrong and so the block came out too small. Huh. Oops. I set it aside, thinking I'd finish it off as a mug rug/coaster to send to Jules one day, and then I recut the block and made one the right size for the quilt.

I finally this week finished the mug rug and here it is, ready to mail to Jules. I used a map fabric on the back and quilted a little line from her home to mine after I quilted in all the ditches as well.

front of mug rug version
and card

back of mug rug showing the quilting lines :)
pardon the messy binding!!
The quote on the front of the card sums up why this block is in the quilt --- I am so grateful for the treasure that is you.  This is my tribute, my thank-you as it were, to the woman (and women) who started me on the path to quilting and have helped me along the way. Yes, primarily to Jules, without whom I'd never have taken the quilting plunge, but also a little nod to a few others as well. I'm pretty sure Jules doesn't mind sharing just a bit. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment