Thursday, August 4, 2011

The First Present Made It!!

I'm so happy to share with you one of the presents I sent off. It was the next-to-last present that I made, was not for the pay-it-forward but was just because, and was hard and fun and wonderful.

My mentor, Jules over at And Sew On...., has frequently gone above and beyond in email teaching me how to sew and quilt, and I wanted to finally thank her in some tiny tangible way.

She also recently started a Long Arm Quilting business and has had business cards made to promote that. Alas, she has --had-- nothing to carry her business cards in.

I hopped on-line and searched free patterns until I found the one I wanted -- an Amy Butler Business Card Keeper free pattern.  

I'd seen a picture on Jules' blog, about what her office would look like if she had an office. Modern, black & white with hot pink. Hmmmmm..... I sorted fabrics and found just the right choices in my stash.

Then I got to work...

Open -- the flaps inside hold business cards in place once it is folded closed.
 ....and made that pesky button hole.....

button hole close up

different view
...and did some detail stitching as an accent....

it's a little blurry, but I did black outline stitching around the pink flower on the back of the card holder

...and finally sent this off,

...all wrapped up, so that Jules can showcase her business cards in a nice fabric card holder. She can explain that a long-distance student she's never met made it for her.  That ought to spark some interest....

Have you ever received an unexpected gift? Or sent one? What was it? 

11 comments:

  1. And so did the second one!!!!

    Thank you so much for the gorgeous note cards, hand made with loving care and beautiful photography!

    I am hoping to share them with others, with great love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so glad to hear that Sooze! I'll put pics of that up tomorrow. I'm so glad you are enjoying them!!

    Also glad you commented; I need to put you back in my sidebar - I lost a lot of blog addresses when my blog address reverted to the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Mrs. So & So is very thankful and delighted to have such a wonderful place to have business cards. Sure beats behind the driver's license! LOL!!

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. High Five!! You did a pretty big project for someone new to sewing. I'm very impressed.

    You've also inspired me to make myself a business card pouchy-thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite unexpected gift was from Rita (SL). She quilted a blanket for Wee Babe. I bawled when I got it.
    http://gratefulforgrace.com/2008/03/romans-1215_12/

    It's a treasure!

    I'm so glad you did this for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jules - thank you! So glad you love it!!!

    Robin - thanks!! The pattern was easy to follow. I used a thin batting instead of the fusible whatever it is you are supposed to use, because I've not figured out how to ask for fusible whatever in Portuguese. It was a little thicker and that's why it didn't fold as thin, so if you use fusible stuff it will be more like the one in the pattern photo. It was quite fun to make though!

    GfG - so cool that someone from SL land made you a blanket for Wee Babe. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! I don’t know how to sew and I think it’s incredible that you did this...while being new to the sewing world. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That is a great little project. I'm so impressed with your willingness to hand stitch. I'd rather clean the house than hand stitch any day!!!!!

    Jules is a dear too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sweet! and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really cute! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Inspiring and what gorgeous fabric choices - perfect for Jules :)

    Oh - and congrats again on that button hole!

    ReplyDelete