Monday, June 20, 2011

Red, White & Blue....

Just about a year ago, or a little less than actually, I started a brand new (to me)  hobby: Quilt making.

Today, I'm finally finished with Phase One of my first real project -- my red, white & blue.

A year ago, there was this.
starting bits of fabric, and pattern Mosaic Star from Painted Pony 'n Quilts


Which turned into this.

the first block I did


And since then I've made 7 more just like that, and 8 more in the same style but red & navy.

And last night I laid them all out like this....

all 16 blocks, laid out in the mosaic star pattern, waiting to be sewn together
....which is the shape they'll take as I sew all those blocks together.

Sixteen 10" Log Cabin blocks, sewn together until they form one generous lap sized Mosaic Star quilt top.

Sewing them together, Phase Two, starts today. After that, there are borders to be added. That will be a finished quilt top. I get chills just thinking about it.

Then I'll sandwich in a batting and backing and baste and -gasp!- start quilting. This one is small enough that I should be okay doing this by hand, in a hoop thing to keep the fabric taut.

I'm excited to have this much done, and looking forward to finishing it up. If, in my eagerness to sew I forget to blog, well, bear with me a bit. I'll be back, I promise. But right now, I have some sewing to do.

6 comments:

  1. Such talent! I helped make a quilt once for a wedding. Lots of people each did one block and then signed it. It was really cool. But I didn't have to do any of the prep work, so it was easy. :)

    Also, thanks for putting me in your "other blogs I enjoy" column. I get LOTS of hits from your page. I appreciate every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, these are my absolute favorite colors!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Isn't completion the best? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked and it's been at least a week since I said this: I'm soooo impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I am impressed, too. Congrats on Phase 1 of your first big project. And in under a year since you purchased. WooHoo!!

    ReplyDelete